Ortiz has third surgery after complications

MLB

Former Boston Red Sox slugger David Ortiz underwent a third surgery earlier this week because of complications from the gunshot wound he suffered last month in the Dominican Republic.

Ortiz’s wife, Tiffany, announced the latest surgery in a statement released Thursday by the Red Sox. She did not disclose details about the complications but said Ortiz is “recovering well and in good spirits.”

Ortiz, 43, is still recovering at Massachusetts General Hospital in Boston after being shot on June 9 in Santo Domingo. Doctors in the Dominican Republic removed his gallbladder and part of his intestine before he was flown to Boston in an air ambulance sent by the Red Sox.

Once in Boston, Ortiz underwent a second surgery on June 10. This week’s operation was performed by Dr. David King at Massachusetts General.

“We continue to be incredibly appreciative of the kindness and compassion shown to David and to our entire family during this difficult time,” Ortiz’s wife said in Thursday’s statement.

Ortiz led the Red Sox to three World Series championships, was a 10-time All-Star and hit 541 home runs. The Red Sox retired his number, 34, in 2017, and he has a bridge and a stretch of road outside Fenway Park named after him.

The Associated Press contributed to this report.

Articles You May Like

Hard-line stance on high tackles to stay World Rugby chief
Anderlecht fined for allowing Vincent Kompany coach team without license
Archibald out to be Olympic ‘pioneer’ in the madison
Brand alliances a key in Talladega playoff race
Alfredsson wins Senior LPGA for major sweep

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *