Source: ‘Ghost’ Guerrero back in ring Dec. 1

Boxing

Welterweight Robert Guerrero’s retirement is over.

The former two-division world titlist known as the “Ghost,” is ending his retirement and fight an opponent to be named on the non-televised undercard of the Deontay Wilder-Tyson Fury heavyweight world title fight on Dec. 1 (Showtime PPV) at the Staples Center in Los Angeles, a source with direct knowledge of the plans told ESPN on Thursday.

Guerrero, who won world titles as a featherweight and junior lightweight, plus interim belts at lightweight and welterweight, has not boxed since suffering the first knockout loss of his career, a third-round stoppage to former lightweight world titlist Omar Figueroa Jr. on July 15, 2017. But Guerrero has been training for the comeback for more than a month, the source said.

A couple of days after the loss to Figueroa, Guerrero (33-6-1, 18 KOs), 35, issued a statement announcing that he was retiring after a 16-year-professional career in which he had faced several top names with his bouts being a television fixture.

Guerrero, of Gilroy, California, defeated name opponents such as Joel Casamayor and Andre Berto, but after outpointing Berto in a grueling fight in 2012 he got a chance to fight Floyd Mayweather in a welterweight world title bout that headlined a Showtime PPV card – the first bout of Mayweather’s mega deal with Showtime.

Mayweather trounced Guerrero by lopsided unanimous decision in May 2013 and Guerrero’s career went downhill from there. Including the loss to Mayweather, Guerrero went 2-5 before announcing his retirement, suffering losses to top foes Keith Thurman and Danny Garcia as well as journeyman David Peralta and Figueroa.

He did defeat Japanese brawler Yoshiro Kamegai by decision in a brutal slugfest and got a controversial decision win over journeyman Aaron Martinez.

The fight with Figueroa, which had been Guerrero’s first in 11 months, was perhaps the worst of his career. Figueroa, who was coming off his own 19-month layoff, pummeled Guerrero. He knocked Guerrero down five times, three times in the second round and twice more in the fifth round before the bout was stopped.

“A boxer’s career is a long and tough road,” Guerrero said in the statement last year announcing his retirement. “Many tears were shed, lots of blood, and tons of sweat. Many miles were traveled, thousands of rounds sparred. None were easy and nothing was ever given to me. I earned everything I got the old fashion way. I never ducked anyone and fought the best fighters in the world. I fought my way through every obstacle to make sure my fans enjoyed every second of every round of my fights.”

Articles You May Like

LPGA’s Thompson step closer to first win of 2018
Brandon Rios returns with one goal in mind and newfound confidence
India ponder bowling combination ahead of first T20I
Source: Bucs will start Winston over Fitzpatrick
Zverev dismantles Federer, meets Djokovic in final

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *